Chelsea rally for friendly win over Roma
Washington: Second-half goals from Frank Lampard and Romelu Lukaku lifted Chelsea to a 2-1 win over Roma in a friendly football match at RFK Stadium in Washington.
Lukaku scored in the 88th minute to give Chelsea the victory in their final friendly before opening English Premier League play next weekend.
Veteran midfielder Lampard had equalized for the Blues in the 60th, after Roma went ahead in the 20th through Eric Lamela.
Chelsea were quick off the mark, and Roma goalkeeper Morgan de Sanctis had to jump in the second minute to deny a volley from Michael Essien.
But the Italian side drew first blood in the 20th minute, with the aid of a blunder by Chelsea goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.
The Australian mishandled a back pass, allowing the ball to bounce off his post toward Eric Lamela, who knocked the ball home from a couple of yards out.
Pablo Osvaldo almost doubled the lead for Roma when he created space inside the area, cutting inside Cesar Azpilicueta and David Luiz and shooting low, but Schwarzer dipped left for the save.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho made six substitutions at halftime and the move paid dividends as the English side stepped up the pressure on the Roma goal.
In the 60th, Demba Ba`s found Lampard, who made no mistake with a wide open shot from the top of the arc, firing a low drive into the near corner to make it 1-1.
The Blues found the winner in the 88th. Eden Hazard threaded through the Roma defense, pulling the ball back for Ba who found Lukaku.
Lukaku fired from close range, his deflected shot finding the back of the net.
With the victory Chelsea capped a four-match US pre-season tour.
They beat both AC Milan and Inter Milan by 2-0, and fell 3-1 to Real Madrid on Wednesday, when the final of the International Champions Cup friendly tournament in Miami offered Mourinho a chance to take on the club he departed amid acrimony in June.
It is Mourinho`s second spell with Chelsea, the team he guided to Premier League triumphs in 2005 and 2006.
Roma, who open their Serie A campaign on August 25, were playing a third Stateside warm-up match. They beat the Major League Soccer All-Stars 3-1 and MLS outfit Toronto FC 4-1 on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical