Chelsea star Mata confident of Spain recall
Madrid: Chelsea star Juan Mata insists he remains confident of a recall to the national set-up with Spain.
In spite of his impressive start to the season with the Blues, the 24-year-old was a surprise omission from La Roja’s squad to face Belarus and France in the latest round of World Cup qualifiers.
However, the former Valencia midfielder has faith in his coach’s decision and will concentrate on continuing his recent level of performance for his club.
“I have to go forward and trust in the call,” he told AS.
“I always try to give my best in every practice and every game, to be at the highest level. I think that`s what led me to be at an important club like Chelsea and enjoying top level football.
“Therefore, that`s what I`m going to keep doing, not taking anything for granted and working and training as usual.”
Mata capped a successful first season with Chelsea by scoring the final goal in Spain`s 4-0 rout of Italy in the Euro 2012 final, despite only coming on as a substitute in the dying moments.
After an extended break from pre-season training following his participation in the London 2012 Olympic football tournament, he has hit the ground running for the Blues, contributing four goals and five assists in his last five matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police