Chelsea target Hulk signs for Russian side Zenit in ‘incredible’ £39.5m move
London: Brazilian striker Hulk, who was linked with a move to European champions Chelsea throughout the summer window, has signed a contract with Russian giants Zenit St Petersburg from FC Porto in a deal worth whopping 39.5 million pounds.
Hulk, who is a powerful striker who can also play as a winger, came very close to a move to Stamford Bridge in the transfer window but Chelsea would not stump up the 50 million euros fee Zenit decided to pay.
Zenit manager Luciano Spalletti had named Hulk among several transfer targets in July, but the London Games silver medallist had expressed desire to play in the English Premier League or Spanish La Liga during the summer.
“I have left the door open to be transferred. My preference is to play in England or Spain because they are the most watched league in the world. Now is a great time for me to move,” The Daily Mail quoted Hulk.
Tottenham were also interested in the striker and manager Andre Villas-Boas even met with him over the summer while Hulk was in London for the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III