Chelsea will win titles under Mourinho: Ballack
London: The former Blues midfielder, who was signed by the Portuguese manager in 2006, believes the west London club will challenge for honours following the Special One`s return.
Former Chelsea midfielder and ex-Germany international Michael Ballack has backed Jose Mourinho to reinvigorate the west London club and lead them to success once more.
The Stamford Bridge outfit won the Europa League last season under interim boss Rafa Benitez, but crashed out of the Champions League in the group stages and only finished third in the Premier League - and sixth the year before.
But Ballack is adamant Mourinho can turn Chelsea`s fortunes around, and believes the Portuguese boss can get the best out of diminutive playmakers such as Juan Mata and Oscar - just as he did with Deco while at Porto - in the quest for silverware.
"Mourinho is a smart coach and can push this Chelsea team forward to win titles once again," Ballack told Goal.
"Now Chelsea have small, amazing and more skillful players, unlike his first time when the team was made up of bigger and physical players.
"At Porto, he had small players such as Deco and he built the team around them to achieve results."
The 36-year-old former Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen midfielder scored 26 goals in 167 appearances for the Blues, and won the FA Cup under Mourinho in the 2006-07 season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark