Chelsea’s Lampard says they never thought about making CL final after Napoli defeat
London: Veteran Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has said the players were so dejected in the dressing room after their 3-1 defeat to Napoli in the first leg of the pre quarterfinals of the Champions League at Naples, that nobody had even thought about making it to the finals in Munich.
Lampard, who was dropped for the first leg, was restored in the team for the second leg, and scored a vital penalty as Napoli were staggeringly, dispatched 4-1.
The Blues then beat Benfica and the Catalan giants Barcelona to make it to the finals of Europe’s elite competition against Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena on May 19.
“We were struggling in Naples, you could see that. You wouldn’t have looked ahead of yourselves and seen this now. You’re experienced enough to know things can change. But, on that night, I don’t think any one of us thought it,” The Sun quoted Lampard, as saying.
“We were despondent in the dressing room afterwards and it took a big effort in the three weeks between the games to turn things around,” he added.
Lampard said their second leg win against Napoli at Stamford Bridge was the turning point of their Champions League season.
“The home game was a massive turning point in our season — in fact, the major turning point in our season. But we always knew as a group we had the quality,” Lampard said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested