Chelsea’s Lampard says they never thought about making CL final after Napoli defeat
London: Veteran Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has said the players were so dejected in the dressing room after their 3-1 defeat to Napoli in the first leg of the pre quarterfinals of the Champions League at Naples, that nobody had even thought about making it to the finals in Munich.
Lampard, who was dropped for the first leg, was restored in the team for the second leg, and scored a vital penalty as Napoli were staggeringly, dispatched 4-1.
The Blues then beat Benfica and the Catalan giants Barcelona to make it to the finals of Europe’s elite competition against Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena on May 19.
“We were struggling in Naples, you could see that. You wouldn’t have looked ahead of yourselves and seen this now. You’re experienced enough to know things can change. But, on that night, I don’t think any one of us thought it,” The Sun quoted Lampard, as saying.
“We were despondent in the dressing room afterwards and it took a big effort in the three weeks between the games to turn things around,” he added.
Lampard said their second leg win against Napoli at Stamford Bridge was the turning point of their Champions League season.
“The home game was a massive turning point in our season — in fact, the major turning point in our season. But we always knew as a group we had the quality,” Lampard said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people