Cheney, Buehler score as US beats North Korea 2-0
Dresden, Germany: Lauren Cheney and Rachel Buehler scored in the second-half, and the United States opened play at the Women`s World Cup with a 2-0 victory over youthful North Korea on Tuesday.
Cheney came through in the 54th minute after putting several shots right into the hands of North Korean goalkeeper Hong Myong Hui. She took a long cross from Abby Wambach right in front of the box and nodded it past Hong to set off a raucous celebration by the two-time World Cup champions.
Buehler scored the second goal of her career in the 76th minute with a thunderous right-footed strike from about 11 yards. Hong dove, but the ball rolled beneath her outstretched hand.
This was the fourth time North Korea and the U.S. have met in group play at the Women`s World Cup. This was the third American victory after a 2-2 draw four years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you