Chhetri denied visa to travel to Singapore for AFC Cup match
New Delhi: Indian football captain Sunil Chhetri and his Churchill Brothers team-mate Balal Arezou from Afghanistan have been denied visas to travel to Singapore to play against that county`s club Warriors FC in an AFC Cup match.
A team official told PTI that Chhetri, Arezou and club chairman Churchill Alemao have been denied visas by the Singapore Consulate in Mumbai for the Goan side`s AFC Cup match in Singapore scheduled for April 10.
"On Friday the club got a letter from Singapore Consulate in Mumbai that Chhetri, Arezou and Alemao will not be granted visas to travel to Singapore. The consulate gave no reason for the rejection. The players and Alemao will re-apply again," the official said.
The other members of the team left for Singapore on Sunday without the two players and club chairman.
Churchill no lie in third place in Group E with four points from three matches. They have lost one match, drawn one and lost one in the home-and-away group league competition so far. They had beaten the Singapore side 3-0 in their home match on April 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31