Chhetri gets yellow card in Wizards US Open Cup qualifier loss
New Delhi: Indian striker Sunil Chhetri made a disappointing debut for Kansas City Wizards as he failed to score and was shown a yellow card for a reckless tackle in his side`s 1-2 loss to Colorado Rapids in a US Open Cup qualifier in Kansas City, United States.
Two goals from Wells Thompson were enough for the Colorado Rapids to advance to the next play-in stage of the Cup and eliminate the Wizards from the competition at the H Durwood Stadium last night.
Chhetri played for 45 minutes and was cautioned in the 20th minute for bringing down Thompson from behind. He was replaced by Kei Kamara in the 46th minute.
The Wizards drew first blood through rookie Teal Bunbury, who scored just four minutes into the match after outrunning three Rapids defenders on the left flank.
However, Thompson responded in the 24th minute off a corner kick from Jamie Smith. Thompson took one touch and sent a close-range rocket past Eric Kronberg at the near post to level the score.
Thompson scored the winner in the 80th minute off a feed from newly-signed Argentine import Claudio Lope.
The Wizards had multiple opportunities to even the score in the stoppage time but Kamara`s left-footed half volley was not on target and Rapids goalkeeper Steward Ceus tipped a late Jimmy Conrad header over the crossbar.
Chhetri is the first Indian to play for a Major League Soccer side and also the first Asian to play for the Wizards.
The diminutive Indian did not play in Wizards` second MLS match against the Rapids on April 10 as he did not have his clearance papers from the United States Soccer Federation and the MLS.
"Sunil is a guy that has good attacking tendencies. He`s had a bit of time to settle in, so it should be a seamless transition," Wizards Manager Peter Vermes had said after official announcement of Chhetri`s inclusion in the roster.
Chhetri has scored four goals in two games for Wizards` reserve team, including a hat trick against the University of Evansville two weeks ago.
The Wizards have won the US Open Cup once, defeating the Chicago Fire 1-0 in 2004 final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow