Chhetri, Jeje to undergo trials at Scottish giants Rangers
New Delhi: Indian football team`s strike duo of Sunil Chhetri and Jeje Lalpekhlua are set to undergo trials at Scottish Premier League giants Glasgow Rangers FC later this month.
Rangers agreed to the deal after agent Yogesh Joshee, who manages both the players, convinced the club to give the duo an opportunity to train at Murray Park at the end of this month.
Chhetri and Jeje`s performance will be assessed during training sessions with the first-team squad.
Looking for new talents at the lucrative Indian market apparently led the club to try out the two strikers who have been prolific in the I-League as well in international matches.
"If they impress the club`s global reach could be extended even further in the South Asian market," the club said in a statement.
To explore various possibilities, Rangers` Head of Business Development, Raymond Farrelly, will travel to India later this month to meet officials of I-League clubs, before visiting the Tata football Academy in Jamshedpur.
Currently playing for Mohun Bagan, 27-year-old Chhetri has scored 24 goals from 52 matches for India.
Lalpekhlua, 20, represents Pune FC in the I-League and is one of India`s most promising talents having enjoyed a prolific season with Indian Arrows, yielding 13 goals in 15 matches.
Jeje has five goals from just eight appearances while playing for the national team.
In 2010, Chhetri was with MLS side Kansas City Wizards. He earlier had trials at English Championship side Coventry City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets