Chhetri, Jeje to undergo trials at Scottish giants Rangers
New Delhi: Indian football team`s strike duo of Sunil Chhetri and Jeje Lalpekhlua are set to undergo trials at Scottish Premier League giants Glasgow Rangers FC later this month.
Rangers agreed to the deal after agent Yogesh Joshee, who manages both the players, convinced the club to give the duo an opportunity to train at Murray Park at the end of this month.
Chhetri and Jeje`s performance will be assessed during training sessions with the first-team squad.
Looking for new talents at the lucrative Indian market apparently led the club to try out the two strikers who have been prolific in the I-League as well in international matches.
"If they impress the club`s global reach could be extended even further in the South Asian market," the club said in a statement.
To explore various possibilities, Rangers` Head of Business Development, Raymond Farrelly, will travel to India later this month to meet officials of I-League clubs, before visiting the Tata football Academy in Jamshedpur.
Currently playing for Mohun Bagan, 27-year-old Chhetri has scored 24 goals from 52 matches for India.
Lalpekhlua, 20, represents Pune FC in the I-League and is one of India`s most promising talents having enjoyed a prolific season with Indian Arrows, yielding 13 goals in 15 matches.
Jeje has five goals from just eight appearances while playing for the national team.
In 2010, Chhetri was with MLS side Kansas City Wizards. He earlier had trials at English Championship side Coventry City.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'