Chhetri to organise `unique` football camp in capital
New Delhi: Indian football team captain Sunil Chhetri will give budding talent an opportunity to train under his watchful eyes during a "unique" eight-day camp, to be held in the capital from June 16.
"There`s an unique plan. There`s a plan to have a coaching camp for kids at the Ambedkar Stadium. It kicks off on June 16 and will go on for eight days," Chhetri said.
According to the ace striker, his initiative will be different form other camps.
"It`s not just a camp pulled out from the dictionary. The idea is to give the kids a proper feeling of how a training process should be. A budding footballer needs to balance practice, diet and rest at the same time. But someone needs to tell them about it.
"I will personally talking and interacting with the kids and tell them about the mistakes which I made at their age. I will also have a separate session with the parents.
"We will take care of the kitting. Nike will be supplying the balls and the kids will be given clean drinking water and proper nutrition in between and after the sessions. The first two days will be the trials practice sessions have been slated for next four days. The practice matches would take place during the last two days," he said.
Asked how did the idea of holding a camp crop up, he said, "Some time back, some of my friends came up to me with the idea of opening a football academy in New Delhi. I was a bit sceptical at the outset. Simply because, sustaining an academy is a huge thing.
"Instead, I told them to have an 8-day coaching camp and revisit the idea of the academy later on. We will revisit the concept after maybe organise another camp three months later. If at that stage we feel we can sustain an academy, we will take the plunge.
"We will have a separate batch for the U-12-14 Boys and another one for U-16 Boys. There`s also an open category for U-18 Girls. We will finalise the timings depending on the response," he added.
Asked which club colours he would be donning next season, Chhetri said, "I haven`t decided it yet and haven`t signed for any club. In any case, I have to go back to Sporting Lisbon and discuss the possibilities of a loan to some other club."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues