Chile winger Vargas steers Gremio to 2-1 win
Porto Alegre: Chile international forward Eduardo Vargas scored twice in the first half as Gremio defeated Botafogo 2-1 in Brazil`s Serie A championship.
Vargas opened the scoring at Arena do Gremio with a 14th-minute volley before former Dutch international midfielder Clarence Seedorf equalised by skipping around two defenders and drilling a powerful 25 metre shot into the top corner on Sunday, reports Xinhua.
But Vargas made it 2-1 with another first-time finish after an Alex Telles free-kick.
The result lifts Gremio to 12 points from five matches, one point behind third-placed Botafogo.
Gremio striker Kleber praised the impact of former Brazil forward Renato Gaucho, who was appointed coach earlier this month after the sacking of Vanderlei Luxemburgo.
"He has reminded us of the spirit of this club and we showed that spirit today," Kleber said. "We played with quality in the first half and in the second we showed determination.
"This is how we`re going to play now and we want to be among the teams fighting for the title."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie