Chile winger Vargas steers Gremio to 2-1 win
Porto Alegre: Chile international forward Eduardo Vargas scored twice in the first half as Gremio defeated Botafogo 2-1 in Brazil`s Serie A championship.
Vargas opened the scoring at Arena do Gremio with a 14th-minute volley before former Dutch international midfielder Clarence Seedorf equalised by skipping around two defenders and drilling a powerful 25 metre shot into the top corner on Sunday, reports Xinhua.
But Vargas made it 2-1 with another first-time finish after an Alex Telles free-kick.
The result lifts Gremio to 12 points from five matches, one point behind third-placed Botafogo.
Gremio striker Kleber praised the impact of former Brazil forward Renato Gaucho, who was appointed coach earlier this month after the sacking of Vanderlei Luxemburgo.
"He has reminded us of the spirit of this club and we showed that spirit today," Kleber said. "We played with quality in the first half and in the second we showed determination.
"This is how we`re going to play now and we want to be among the teams fighting for the title."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers