Churchill beat Pune FC 2-1, go 5 points clear at top of table
Vasco: Churchill Brothers took a giant step towards regaining the I-League title after scoring a 2-1 victory over Pune FC in a 23rd round I-League clash at Tilak Maidan on Friday.
After a barren opening session, Churchill scored through Bineesh Balan (58th) and Sunil Chhetri (63rd) while Pune FC pulled one back through substitute Boima Karpeh (90th).
With Friday’s win, Churchill now stand on 45 points with a five-point lead at the top of the table, with four matches left to be played.
Pune FC, who were also nursing title ambitions, were left to ponder on their defensive frailties as both goals they conceded resulted from mistakes at the backline.
Both teams were understandably nervous at the start and played extremely safe. It were the hosts, though, who created the better chances as Henri Arnaud, in the 10th minute, laid a ball for Afghanistan striker Balal Arezou who could not guide it into the goal.
Sunil Chhetri then fed Henri but the Gabonese striker delayed, allowing a rival defender to dispossess him.
Pune FC did not have any clear chances in the first session with James Moga left stranded.
Much of the blame for Churchill`s lead should be laid on goalkeeper Shahinlal Meloly whose poor goal-kick saw Henri trap the ball and lay it for substitute Bineesh Balan who showed remarkable poise to finish from a narrow angle in the 57th minute.
Churchill made it 2-0 in the 62nd minute when another defensive mistake allowed Chhetri the space to curl a brilliant left-footer into the top corner of the net.
Just at the stroke of regulation time, Boima Karpeh pulled one back for Pune FC, providing for a nervy five minutes in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?