Churchill beat Pune FC 2-1, go 5 points clear at top of table
Vasco: Churchill Brothers took a giant step towards regaining the I-League title after scoring a 2-1 victory over Pune FC in a 23rd round I-League clash at Tilak Maidan on Friday.
After a barren opening session, Churchill scored through Bineesh Balan (58th) and Sunil Chhetri (63rd) while Pune FC pulled one back through substitute Boima Karpeh (90th).
With Friday’s win, Churchill now stand on 45 points with a five-point lead at the top of the table, with four matches left to be played.
Pune FC, who were also nursing title ambitions, were left to ponder on their defensive frailties as both goals they conceded resulted from mistakes at the backline.
Both teams were understandably nervous at the start and played extremely safe. It were the hosts, though, who created the better chances as Henri Arnaud, in the 10th minute, laid a ball for Afghanistan striker Balal Arezou who could not guide it into the goal.
Sunil Chhetri then fed Henri but the Gabonese striker delayed, allowing a rival defender to dispossess him.
Pune FC did not have any clear chances in the first session with James Moga left stranded.
Much of the blame for Churchill`s lead should be laid on goalkeeper Shahinlal Meloly whose poor goal-kick saw Henri trap the ball and lay it for substitute Bineesh Balan who showed remarkable poise to finish from a narrow angle in the 57th minute.
Churchill made it 2-0 in the 62nd minute when another defensive mistake allowed Chhetri the space to curl a brilliant left-footer into the top corner of the net.
Just at the stroke of regulation time, Boima Karpeh pulled one back for Pune FC, providing for a nervy five minutes in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh