Churchill beats Lajong in I-League match
Shillong: Churchill Brothers FC defeated Shillong Lajong FC at the latter`s turf here in the second leg of the prestigious I-League.
Close to having beaten at home by Mohun Bagan 3-2 in its last match, Churchill earned three points after Wednesday`s win.
Churchill dominated over Lajong for most parts of the first half but managed to score only in the 34th minutes when Zenith Mashangva was caught a hand-ball inside the box.
Brazilian Roberto Silva`s penalty silenced the jam packed football fans at the newly laid turf of J N Stadium. Churchills`s Silva sealed the game 2-0 when he headed the ball into the net in the 33rd minutes of the second half.
Shillong Lajong which has an `unbeaten-at-home` record so far tasted its first loss when they conceded two goals in the match.
They clearly missed the service of two of its key players - John Menyongar and Lalramluaha - who were shown yellow card in their last match against Air India at Pune.
Lajong`s Eugeneson Lyngdoh played well but missed several opportunities and was caught unalert on several occasion.
Lyngdoh missed at least three clear chances inside the box when his slow shots went easily cleared by Churchills defenders.
At the post match conference, Churchill Coach, Manual Gomez said, "We had a good match, we had a good crowd and a good turf."
He was all praised for Lajong players even as he said, "We played fast and confidently while they missed too much."
Gomez said his boys got the much needed "boost" after they converted a penalty.
Lajong`s coach, Pradyum Reddy on the other hand said his side missed key players and this cost them the game. "We need good players to play against a top team (like Churchill). We missed John and Lalramluaha," Reddy pointed out.
He admitted his side`s midfield was totally in shambles.
"We lack creativity in the mid-field. I hope we complete signing of 25 year old Australian Mayora Matthew (before our next match) to add extra quality and movements in the crucial area," Reddy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?
- After Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Laurent Blanc too leaves Paris Saint-Germain: Report
- Global warnings on Brexit consequences
- Reasons you should be eating more broccoli!