Churchill Brothers SC 6-0 Shillong Lajong FC: The Goan side thrash Bulpin`s boys
Goa: Mariano Dias` men helped themselves to a 6-0 home win over Shillong Lajong which saw leapfrog Pune FC at the top of the table.
Churchill Brothers SC handed out a 6-0 mauling of Shillong Lajong FC on home turf in a 14th round I-League fixture played at the Duler stadium in Goa, on Friday, which saw them surge to the top of the table.
Mariano Dias started with a familiar line-up consisting of Roberto Silva (Beto) in the midfield and Henry Antchouet in attack, while former TFA product Sanjay Balmuchu made his I-League debut for the Goan side.
The visitors had Friday Gbeneme and Sushil Singh as their two strikers with Renedy Singh and Boithang Haokip for assistance alongside the left and right wings respectively. Minchol Son and Subhas Singh were the two stopper backs in front of Basant Singh who replaced suspended Lalthuammawia Ralte in goal.
The home side had a few early chances in the game as Denzil Franco and Henry Antchouet worked their way upfront, but the latter didn`t find the back of the net in his initial attempts as Lajong defender Minchol Son stood in his way.
In the 14th minute, Beto dropped the ball for Steven Dias, but the Churchill midfielder wasn`t able to control the ball with Lajong defender Lalchhuanmawia brushing against him while rival keeper Basant Singh got there before Dias.
Churchill goalkeeper Sandip Nandy had the easy pickings on the other side as Friday Gbeneme`s shot, after being played in from the right by Boithang Haokip, didn`t have much power behind it in the 25th minute.
Three minutes later, Franco`s overhead lob toward Antchouet saw the Lajong keeper Basant Singh rush to the scene to make the save.
The opener finally came in the 40th minute when Steven Dias managed to outsmart Lajong defender Subhash Singh as he placed the ball past Basant Singh on receiving a long ball from Bilal Najjarine.
Another goal two minutes later saw Raju Yumnam spot Henry Antchouet in front of goal, while the latter couldn`t haved missed from about seven yards out as Basant Singh was beaten for the second time.
Lajong FC tried to resume the second half on the front foot, but were caught on the counter as Churchill Brothers extended their lead in the 55th minute.
After missing to find the target with a header from Steven Dias` cross in the 53rd minute, Beto`s cross was smacked in by Ajay Singh`s right footed effort which gave the Lajong custodian no chance whatsoever.
Churchill substitute Akram Moghrabi, who replaced Antchouet in the 63rd minute, headed in a cross from Raju Yumnam from the far left to make it 4-0 in the 66th minute.
Sandip Nandy meanwhile was made to work hard to keep a clean sheet in the match as the custodian did well to deflect Bipin Singh`s header from Boithang Haokip`s cross in the 70th minute.
Three minutes later, Moghrabi beat Lajong`s off-side trap and got the better of Basant Singh after being released by Steven Dias to make it 5-0.
Sandip Nandy got a touch to Boithang Haokip`s shot which came off the post and back into play as the Churchill defense dealt with the few Lajong attacks well.
With the game entering stoppage time, the hosts were to inflict further damage on the visitors as Beto collected the ball in the middle of the park and ran into vacant space before sending in a curling shot inside Basant Singh`s right hand post.
With this win, Churchill Brothers SC move on top of the table with 28 points from 12 matches. Desmond Bulpin`s side, on the other hand, have 13 points from as many matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow