Churchill Brothers signs Costa Rican striker Navarro
Panaji: Defending I-League champions Churchill Brothers have signed Costa Rica striker Cristian Lagos Navarro to bolster their struggling forwardline and turn their fortunes as the Goan side is presently languishing at the bottom of the league.
The 29-year old, who is contracted to Deportivo Saprissa in Costa Rica, has signed a contract until the end of the season and is likely to replace Syrian striker Yaser Shahen, who will join the club in January.
"I`m happy and grateful to Saprissa because I was provided all the facilities to join this important Indian team. I am excited about this new challenge and the offer I was presented," Navarro said in a statement.
"I want to take this opportunity to thank all the Saprissa fans who always showed me their love and support. This is a unique opportunity for myself and my family that I could not pass. I hope to do well and worthily represent the country abroad," he added.
Churchill has scored the least number of goals in the league -- a meagre 12 from their 13 matches. The club management has now pinned its hopes on the new recruit, who will pair up with Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Anthony and expect improved performances in their quest to climb up the ladder and avoid relegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media