Churchill Brothers signs Costa Rican striker Navarro
Panaji: Defending I-League champions Churchill Brothers have signed Costa Rica striker Cristian Lagos Navarro to bolster their struggling forwardline and turn their fortunes as the Goan side is presently languishing at the bottom of the league.
The 29-year old, who is contracted to Deportivo Saprissa in Costa Rica, has signed a contract until the end of the season and is likely to replace Syrian striker Yaser Shahen, who will join the club in January.
"I`m happy and grateful to Saprissa because I was provided all the facilities to join this important Indian team. I am excited about this new challenge and the offer I was presented," Navarro said in a statement.
"I want to take this opportunity to thank all the Saprissa fans who always showed me their love and support. This is a unique opportunity for myself and my family that I could not pass. I hope to do well and worthily represent the country abroad," he added.
Churchill has scored the least number of goals in the league -- a meagre 12 from their 13 matches. The club management has now pinned its hopes on the new recruit, who will pair up with Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Anthony and expect improved performances in their quest to climb up the ladder and avoid relegation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report