Churchill draw Persipura 1-1, stay afloat for pre-quarters
Margao: Churchill Brothers kept themselves afloat for a knock-out round berth in the AFC Cup after playing out a 1-1 draw against Persipura Jayapura on Indonesia in their penultimate group match here on Wednesday.
After a barren first half, Persipura Jayapura, who held better ball possession in both the halves, took the lead in the 77th minute through Boaz Solossa which was cancelled by Churchill Brothers Balwant Singh in the 84th minute in the Group E match played at Nehru Stadium at Fatorda.
Churchill Brothers, who kept the pressure in the dying minutes, have themselves to blame for not winning the match as Balwant Singh missed two golden opportunities to score the winner.
The draw takes Persipura Jayapura into the next round as they took their tally to 11 points from five matches with a match against Home United of Singapore at hand.
Churchill Brothers took their tally to seven points from five matches -- the same as that of Home United -- but are placed second on head-to-head count. The group toppers and runners-up side qualify for the pre-quarterfinals.
Persipura Jayapura, who beat Churchill Brothers at the home leg, started on an attacking note as they moved the ball with quick short passes and made a series of moves from the right flank but could not penetrate into the rival defence.
Titus Bonai, who was the livewire in the middle, kept the attack moving and the visitors came up with close chances on a couple of occasions but Churchill Brothers keeper Lalit Thapa did well to block Daniel Siogama Tata and Imanuel Wanggai shot from close.
Churchill Brothers, who were forced to defend into their own half for the early part of the first half, got into their act later as they came up with swift counter moves but lacked the sharpness. The absence of Cristian Lagos was also felt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'