Churchill look forward to bounce back against Shillong Lajong
Mapusa: Defending champions Churchill Brothers will have to pull up their socks if they are to win against Shillong Lajong in the Airtel I-League match at Duler stadium here on tuesday.
Churchill, who got their only victory against Sporting Clube de Goa, looked galvanised after their three foreign recruits were aiming for the second win against Bengaluru FC but their hopes went up in smoke as their defence fell apart and conceded three goals to lose 1-3 in the last match.
They are at the bottom of the league table with 7 points from 11 matches.
With the first phase coming to an end after their next two matches, Churchill, who are fighting for survival, cannot afford to lose matches further if they are to remain in the next season.
Churchill`s coach Mariano Dias was disappointed with the way his defence played in the second half against Bengaluru FC which led to a defeat.
"We cannot afford to give free space to the opponent to score goals. Tomorrow is a new game and we will go all out for a win keeping our defence in tact and make the best of the chance we get to score goals," stated Dias.
On the other hand, Lajong, who played without their three foreigners, put up a commendable effort to beat Salgaocar to place themselves on fifth place with 17 points from 12 matches and are now looking for a win to move up the ladder.
Although they have fitness problem with Cornell Glen, Mihol Son and Bomfin Uilliams still not fully fit, coach Thangboi Singto is confident that his team will keep the winning momentum going.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- 'Madaari' grosses Rs 4.45 crore worldwide on opening day
- One jawan martyred as Army foils infiltration bid in Kupwara, curfew lifted from parts of Valley
- 'Casino Royale' actress Caterina Murino was sleepless over rape cases in India
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' beats Salman Khan's 'Sultan', crosses Rs 40 cr mark on opening day!
- India-Bangladesh border will be secured, says Assam CM Sonowal