Churchill provisionally listed to feature in ACL play-offs
New Delhi: I-League champions Churchill Brothers will get a chance to qualify for the AFC Champions
League after the Asian Football Confederation provisionally
named the Goan side among the eight continental teams eligible
to compete in the play-offs for the prestigious club event.
However, participation in the play-offs is conditional on
the teams fulfilling AFC criteria for professionalism,
including clubs being registered as commercial entities.
Other requirements include having a minimum number of
players under professional contracts, encouraging youth
development and the use of a home stadium with a minimum
capacity of 3,000 seats.
The final list of the clubs which will play in the ACL
play-offs will be announced next month after assessing the
fulfillment of the criteria.
The All India Football Federation has forwarded AFC`s
letter on the fulfillment of the criteria to Churchill
"We have forwarded AFC`s letter to Churchill Brothers. We
will send the information given by them to AFC," AIFF General
Secretary Alberto Colaco said.
"According to our records Churchill Brothers meet most of
the criteria listed in the AFC letter," Colaco added.
Last year, Dempo Sports Club featured in the play-offs
but lost 0-3 to UAE`s Al Sharjah to miss the bus for ACL.
Only two teams -- one from East and one from West Asia -- from
the play-offs will qualify for the group stages of the 2010
AFC Champions League.
Leading the eight-team list are Syria`s Al Karamah and
Kuwait SC, who will clash in the AFC Cup final on November 3.
Besides Churchill, the other seven teams provisionally
eligible to compete in the AFC Champions League 2010 Play-Offs
are Al Karamah (Syria), Kuwait SC (Kuwait), Sriwijaya
(Indonesia), Singapore Armed Forces (Singapore), Muang Thong
United (Thailand), SHB Da Nang (Vietnam), Al Wahda (United
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday