Churchill target win to close gap with leaders
Margao: Churchill Brothers would look to bounce back and score some points when they take on Sporting Clube De Goa in the 12th round of the I-League at Nehru Stadium on Wednesday.
Churchill Brothers after losing to Pune FC, have surrendered the top position. They are on 23 points from 11 matches, the same as East Bengal.
Churchill have slipped to third position as they have inferior goal average against East Bengal.
Churchill`s coach Manuel Gomes said the boys are all motivated to do well after their loss against Pune FC.
"We need to win tomorrow as we want to stay close to leader Dempo who are one point ahead of us at the top of the table. Sporting are a good side who can turn the table around on their given day and we need to remain focus till the end," stated Gomes.
On the other hand, Sporting Clube de Goa who could muster only one point out of the four matches, are struggling as they have slipped to eighth place with 13 points from 11 matches.
With four of their main stay players not playing in the last match against Dempo due to injury, they did well to remain goalless in the first half and even took the lead in the second half but succumbed to the pressure in the later part of the second half to go down to 2-3.
With defender Samanand Singh and Freiman Peixoto back from injury and so also Victorino Fernandes after serving double booking, Sporting are well prepared to take on Churchill Brothers.
"We cannot afford to lose tomorrow as we have lost far too many matches which will push us further down the ladder. My boys are all geared up and prepared to give their best tomorrow against Churchill Brothers who will go all out against us as they are fighting to stay close within to win the title," Sporting coach Ekendra Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living