City manager Manuel Pellegrini hit with European ban
LONDON: Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has been banned for three European matches for his comments about the referee after his side`s Champions League defeat by Barcelona, UEFA said on Friday.
The Chilean, who questioned the impartiality of Swedish official Jonas Eriksson, will sit out two games with the other suspended for two years.
Pellegrini accused Eriksson of deciding the outcome of their 2-0 last-16 first-leg defeat on February 18.
He will be banned for the return leg against Barcelona on March 12.
"This means that Pellegrini may follow the game from the stands only; he may not enter the dressing room, tunnel or technical area before or during the match; and he may not communicate directly or indirectly with his players and/or technical staff during the game," UEFA said in a statement.
Pellegrini was charged with violating UEFA`s general principles of conduct.
He apologised for his comments last week, but maintained Eriksson did play a role in the result.
City fell behind early in the second half when Eriksson awarded a penalty for a foul by Martin Demichelis on fellow Argentine Lionel Messi on the edge of the box and the defender was sent off.
There were suggestions a City player had been fouled before the incident.
The normally mild-mannered Pellegrini said in his post-match news conference: "The referee was not impartial. He did not have any control of the game."
He also said the referee should not have been in charge of Barcelona games as he was involved in a controversial match between the Spanish side and AC Milan in 2012.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!