Clinical Chelsea beat AC Milan 2-0
New Jersey: Goals from Kevin de Bruyne and Andre Schuerlle lifted Chelsea to a 2-0 victory over AC Milan and set up a reunion for manager Jose Mourinho against former club Real Madrid.
Mourinho, who left Real Madrid two months ago to return to the London club, and Chelsea will face off against 32-time Spanish champions Real Madrid on Wednesday in Miami`s Sun Life Stadium for the inaugural title in the International Champions Cup, an eight-team friendly tournament.
Chelsea are the only side who haven`t allowed a goal in their first two matches, while Real, who beat Everton 2-1 in Los Angeles on Saturday, have a tournament-high five goals.
On Sunday, Branislav Ivanovic gave Chelsea the initiative in the fourth minute, finding space on the left side near the byline only to have his effort blocked at the right post by Milan keeper Christian Abbiati.
Ivanvonic put a header wide in the 12th before Milan had its first chance, a blast by Kevin-Prince Boateng that went high and wide.
De Bruyne had a goal disallowed 22nd for offside, but Chelsea got on the score sheet in the 29th minute when Eden Hazard found space on the left, dribbled toward the middle and passed to an unmarked Debruyne.
The 22-year-old Belgian international, who transferred from Genk in 2012 but spent last season on loan at Werder Bremen, angled a shot across the goal line.
It wasn`t until the second minute of injury time that Chelsea added another goal, when Victor Moses broke free on the left and sent a ball across the area to Schuerrle.
The 22-year-old German international, who joined Chelsea on a reported 21 million euro transfer from Leverkusen in June, volleyed the ball low inside the right post.
The match was part of a football double-header at the Meadowlands, home of the NFL`s New York Jets and New York Giants.
Jonathan Vanega scored a goal in each half and Ever Banega and Jonas also scored for Spain`s Valencia in a 4-0 victory over Inter Milan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Bhagat Singh a revolutionary terrorist? : Taal Thok Ke Extra Strong - Part 1
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part II
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part III
- Why is Bhagat Singh considered a revolutionary terrorist in free India?-Part IV
- VVIP chopper scam: Govt to seek CBI report, blacklist AgustaWestland; Sonia Gandhi rejects allegations against her
- Pakistani fanatics heckle, show shoe to Kabir Khan at Karachi airport - Watch
- Bharti Airtel Q4 net up 2.8% to Rs 1,290 crore; revenue up 8.4% to Rs 24,960 crore
- Trupti Desai writes letter to Mohan Bhagwat, demands equal representation of women in RSS
- Panama Papers' database to go public on May 9