Conmebol define Libertadores dates
Sao Paulo: Conmebol, the South American football federation, Thursday disclosed that Brazilian clubs Gremio and Sao Paulo will play their Copa Libertadores qualifying rounds Jan 23rd and 30th.
Qualifying matches for South America`s premier club competitions are decided over two legs.
Sao Paulo will receive Bolivian club Bolivar at the Morumbi before making the trip to Bolivia the following week, reports Xinhua.
Gremio will be forced to endure the added challenge altitude brings to their clash with Ecuadorian side LDU Quito, winners of the competition in 2008.
The Brazilians play away on the 23rd before settling the tie in their new stadium on the 30th.
Conmebol also divulged Thursday that the Copa Libertadores, just like the Brazilian championship, will take a short sabbatical whilst the FIFA Confederations Cup is played. The international tournament lasts from June 15th-30th.
As the Libertadores is usually decided around the end of June, Conmebol made the decision to delay the final games until the end of the prelude to the World Cup.
The Libertadores will now only be finalised July 24th.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal