Conmebol define Libertadores dates
Sao Paulo: Conmebol, the South American football federation, Thursday disclosed that Brazilian clubs Gremio and Sao Paulo will play their Copa Libertadores qualifying rounds Jan 23rd and 30th.
Qualifying matches for South America`s premier club competitions are decided over two legs.
Sao Paulo will receive Bolivian club Bolivar at the Morumbi before making the trip to Bolivia the following week, reports Xinhua.
Gremio will be forced to endure the added challenge altitude brings to their clash with Ecuadorian side LDU Quito, winners of the competition in 2008.
The Brazilians play away on the 23rd before settling the tie in their new stadium on the 30th.
Conmebol also divulged Thursday that the Copa Libertadores, just like the Brazilian championship, will take a short sabbatical whilst the FIFA Confederations Cup is played. The international tournament lasts from June 15th-30th.
As the Libertadores is usually decided around the end of June, Conmebol made the decision to delay the final games until the end of the prelude to the World Cup.
The Libertadores will now only be finalised July 24th.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off