Consistency won Manchester United the Premier League: Sir Alex Ferguson
London: Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes consistency was a key influence in the club`s 20th league title victory.
A first-half hat trick from Robin van Persie secured a routine win on Monday night, the Red Devils` 27th victory in 34 games so far this term.
United dropped just seven points since the turn of the year, conceding only six goals in the process, is on course to break Chelsea’s record points haul of 95, and Ferguson congratulated his squad on its imperious form.
"It`s amazing, 13th championship in the Premier League [for me]. I think we deserved it. Our consistency has won us the league. fantastic performance from our players tonight," Ferguson told Sky Sports. "I think the focus of the team was good. The focus on the challenge from [Manchester] City, we came up trumps with it."
Van Persie`s second goal has been hailed as one of the goals of the season - with the striker himself hailing it as "one of the best" he has ever scored - as the Dutchman latched onto Wayne Rooney`s pass from inside his own half to send a stunning volley from 25 yards into the far corner.
Ferguson went one better and described it as one of the goals of the "century" before hailing the overall impact his summer signing has had at the club.
"[Goal of the] century for me, marvellous hit," Ferguson said. "I was shown on TV a similar [Van Persie`s] goal for Arsenal [against Fulham last season]. Head down, over the ball, magnificent strike.
"He`s been unbelievable. His early form, the first six months, were fantastic, then he hit that spell where he hadn`t scored a goal. Like every striker he hit that dry spell, when he hit that penalty [against Stoke] I thought `he`s alive now`. He was unbelievable tonight, marvellous.
"The [second] goal tonight, it doesn`t matter where you place that out of all the great goals scored from David Beckham, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Eric Cantona, that goal takes place with that. So that pedestal is there. The players have join that pedestal."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand