Convincing wins for Manchester-United, City, Real in Champions League
London: Manchster United and Manchester City recorded convincing wins in the group stage of Champions League football while 10-man Real Madrid cruised past Turkish side Galatasaray.
In Berlin, Leverkusen suffered a heavy debacle as Manchester United cruised to a 5-0 win in group A top of the table match Wednesday, reports Xinhua.
David Moyes` men secured their berth in the knockout stage following a dominant and clinical display on the road at the packed BayArena. Wayne Rooney was clearly the man of the match as he had large shares on victory owing to four assists.
"United taught us a lesson. They capitalised on our errors. I hope we can learn from this defeat. Until the second goal the game was not too bad," Leverkusen coach Sami Hyypiae said.
United lead group A with eleven points, followed by Shakhtar Donetsk with eight points, Leverkusen with seven points and Real Sociedad with one point.
At home in Manchester, City`s prolific goals gave them a 4-2 victory over Viktoria Plzen on Wednesday, which keeps City`s hope of topping Group D in the UEFA Champions League.
Having already qualified for the last 16, the English Premiership side chose to make some changes to the list of first team. After being dropped for the last five matches, England goalkeeper Joe Hart return to first team.
Sergio Aguero goals from a 33rd-minute penalty put City ahead, but Plzen tied the score at halftime. Samir Nasri regained the lead for City with a 65th-minute volley. Four minutes later, Stanislav Tecl slotted home and made another tie. Negredo contributed to the 3rd goal. Dzeko expanded the City`s lead and had the final say.
The result kept City three points behind Bayern Munich who have beated City 1-3 in England. The two teams will meet again next week at Munich`s home ground. City needs to win 3-0 or by a two-goal margin if they score four or more times in the match to move to first of the Group, securing an easier last-16 match.
In Brussels, Substitute Rodrigo`s 90th-minute goal secured Benfica a 3-2 victory over Anderlecht.
Anderlecht`s 19-year-old center Chancel Mbemba scored the team`s first goal at home court in the Champions League campaign. Benfica failed to clear a corner and Mbemba controlled it and shot under goalkeeper Artur in the 18th minute.
Nemjana Matic equalised in the 34th. Mbemba deflected a shot by Nicolas Gaitan into his own goal in the 52nd to give Benfica the lead.
Massimo Bruno fired in a low shot and levelled again in the 77th.cRodrigo sealed the thrilling win for Benfica in the 90th.
The Belgian champion remains the bottom of Group C and ends its European campaign, while Benfica goes level on points with Olympiakos which lost 1-2 to Paris Saint-Germain, but stayed second on goal difference.
In Rome, Italian outfit`s Juventus, riding on Arturo Vidal`s hat-trick, boosted its hope of reaching the knockout stages of the continent with a 3-1 win over FC Copenhagen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt