Copa return leg matches may see some surprises
Madrid: The hectic Spanish football season will continue with the 16 return leg matches of the Copa del Rey to be played this week.
Although FC Barcelona, who play away to Osasuna Thursday, have virtually made sure of their place in the quarter-finals thanks to a 4-0 first leg win, almost every other tie is in the balance and there could well be some surprises in store.
Tuesday sees third tier side (Segunda B) Mirandes defend a 2-0 lead away to struggling Primera Liga team Racing Santander, while Mallorca have to overcome a 2-0 first-leg deficit when they play at home against Real Sociedad, reports Xinhua.
Real Madrid travel to play Malaga. Madrid fought back from 2-0 down to win the first leg 3-2, but a 1-0 win would see Malaga through and prevent a Madrid-Barca quarter-final.
The Spanish giants are hoping Karim Benzema will have recovered from an ankle injury as his side return to a ground where they have already scored four goals in the league earlier this season.
Wednesday sees fourth-placed Levante entertain second division Alcorcon needing to come back from a 2-1 first leg defeat. Levante are missing top scorer Jesuli, who is out injured for the rest of the season, but a 1-0 win would see them into the last eight.
Espanyol have to come back from a similar result at home to another second tier side, Cordoba, while Valencia defend a 1-0 advantage away to Sevilla.
Barcelona who play Osasuna, should have few problems finding a place in the last eight, while the same night Athletic Club Bilbao look to book their ticket in the quarters.
Bilbao drew 0-0 away to Segunda B side Albacete last week and are favourites to progress in front of their home fans, although they will have to be wary of conceding an away goal against the team that knocked Atletico Madrid out in the previous round.
The good news for an Athletic side that has not scored in almost 200 minutes football is the return of striker Fernando Llorente following a knee injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt