Corinthians eye former Brazil midfielder Elias
Sao Paulo: Corinthians have not given up hope of signing former Brazil international midfielder Elias before Monday`s international transfer deadline.
The 28-year-old has agreed to terms with the Brazilian giants, who are understood to have baulked at Sporting Lisbon`s four million-euro price tag for 50 percent of the player`s economic rights, Xinhua reported.
"Elias is a big chance of joining the squad," Corinthians coach Mano Menezessaid during a press conference Friday. "We are working towards it but it will be tough because we only have until March 31."
Menezes has made no secret of his desire to bolster Corinthians` squad after the club`s disappointing 2013.
The Sao Paulo outfit backed up their 2012 Copa Libertadores-FIFA Club World Cup double with a mid-table finish in Brazil`s top flight and a second round exit in South America`s premier club competition.
Elias, who spent 2013 on loan with Rio de Janeiro side Flamengo, has been capped 13 times for Brazil since his international debut in 2010.
Corinthians, Elias, Lisbon, Mano Menezessaid, Copa Libertadores-FIFA Club, World Cup, Flamengo, Rio de Janeiro, Football news
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing