Corinthians greats inaugurate Sao Paulo World Cup arena
Sao Paulo: Sao Paulo`s much-delayed World Cup stadium, which will host the tournament opener between Brazil and Croatia on June 12, was inaugurated Saturday with a match featuring former stars of local club Corinthians.
The game saw the ground`s first goal scored by 1970 World Cup winner Roberto Rivelino and in front of 17,000 fans inside the 65,000-capacity arena.
The official test for the stadium will be on May 18 when Corinthians tackle Figueirense.
The Corinthians Arena has been delayed by accidents in which three workers have been killed and it missed its original delivery date of January 1.
At the end of April, FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said it would only be ready "at the last minute".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!