Corinthians greats inaugurate Sao Paulo World Cup arena
Sao Paulo: Sao Paulo`s much-delayed World Cup stadium, which will host the tournament opener between Brazil and Croatia on June 12, was inaugurated Saturday with a match featuring former stars of local club Corinthians.
The game saw the ground`s first goal scored by 1970 World Cup winner Roberto Rivelino and in front of 17,000 fans inside the 65,000-capacity arena.
The official test for the stadium will be on May 18 when Corinthians tackle Figueirense.
The Corinthians Arena has been delayed by accidents in which three workers have been killed and it missed its original delivery date of January 1.
At the end of April, FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said it would only be ready "at the last minute".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city