Corinthians release Adriano
Rio de Janeiro: Corinthians` director Roberto de Andrade officially announced the football club`s decision to release striker Adriano on grounds of repeated disciplinary problems.
Adriano was with Corinthians for 11 months, reported Xinhua.
Arriving in April 2011, Adriano was subject to surgery in order to repair a torn ligament in his right shoulder. Later in the year, he tore his Achilles tendon, necessitating another operation and timely recovery.
In his stint with the club, the 30-year-old striker played in only eight matches, scoring twice. His contract with Corinthians expires at the end of June. For this reason, Corinthians will be obligated to pay Adriano for the remaining time on his contract, worth an estimated USD 1 million.
The club directors are attempting to negotiate a smaller sum by bargaining his departure to another team, hoping that his future club will absorb a percentage of his unpaid wages.
Flamengo is a possible candidate to receive Adriano. The striker helped Flamengo to win the 2009 Brazilian Championship and is a fan favourite.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations