Cristiano Ronaldo banned for three league games
Recently crowned Ballon d`Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo will miss Real Madrid`s next three league games after being sent-off in his side`s 1-1 draw against Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.
The score was already tied at 1-1 when Ronaldo was shown the eighth red card of his career after clashing with Athletic midfielder Ander Iturraspe 15 minutes from time.
The Spanish Football Federation handed the Portuguese the normal one game ban for a straight red card, but also added an extra two games for a gesture of dissent Ronaldo made as he left the field.
Madrid still have the option to appeal the ban, but, should it be upheld, Ronaldo will be ruled out of the La Liga fixtures against Villarreal, Getafe and Elche.
However, the former Manchester United man will be free to take part in Wednesday`s Copa del Rey semi-final, first leg at home to Atletico Madrid as the suspension only applies to league fixtures.
Atletico currently lead La Liga by three points from both Madrid and Barcelona, who are locked on 54 points with 16 games still to go.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- PM Narendra Modi takes his place alongside other world leaders at Madame Tussauds
- Indra Nooyi, Satya Nadella, Bhavesh Patel among highest paid CEOs in world
- Oh fresh! You can't afford to miss these pictures from Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's pooja ceremony
- 7th Pay Commission: New pay scales to put extra burden of Rs 1.02 lakh cr in FY17
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 24: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders — As it happened...