Cristiano Ronaldo banned for three league games
Recently crowned Ballon d`Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo will miss Real Madrid`s next three league games after being sent-off in his side`s 1-1 draw against Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.
The score was already tied at 1-1 when Ronaldo was shown the eighth red card of his career after clashing with Athletic midfielder Ander Iturraspe 15 minutes from time.
The Spanish Football Federation handed the Portuguese the normal one game ban for a straight red card, but also added an extra two games for a gesture of dissent Ronaldo made as he left the field.
Madrid still have the option to appeal the ban, but, should it be upheld, Ronaldo will be ruled out of the La Liga fixtures against Villarreal, Getafe and Elche.
However, the former Manchester United man will be free to take part in Wednesday`s Copa del Rey semi-final, first leg at home to Atletico Madrid as the suspension only applies to league fixtures.
Atletico currently lead La Liga by three points from both Madrid and Barcelona, who are locked on 54 points with 16 games still to go.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Is Kashmir major cause of tension between India and Pakistan? Pak Army says 'Yes'
- Cheers! Uttar Pradesh Cabinet approves sale of liquor in tetra packs
- Congress leader Sheila Dikshit to head panel for Indira Gandhi Birth Centenary Celebrations
- IIFA diaries: Athiya Shetty basking under Spanish sun!
- Vodafone to file prospectus for IPO in August, plans to raise $2.5 billion: Sources