Croatia qualify for 2014 World Cup finals
Zagreb: Croatia secured a berth at their fourth World Cup finals next year with a 2-0 win in their play-off second leg tie against Iceland on Tuesday.
With last week`s first leg goalless, Iceland arrived in Zagreb full of hope of becoming the smallest ever country to make it to a World Cup.
But those dreams were extinguished with goals from Mario Mandzukic in the 27th minute and Darijo Srna`s 47th minute contribution.
Croatia made it hard for themselves when Mandzukic got sent off for a dangerous tackle not long after his goal.
However, in the second half it could have gone unnoticed on the pitch that they had 10 players as they never stopped attacking.
"My respect to players who left their souls and hearts on the pitch, they all made me proud," Croatia coach Niko Kovac told state HRT television after the match.
"We had a vision and a goal. We insisted on that and we succeeded. We showed a modern football," the 42-year-old said.
The former Croatia captain made his bow as national team coach in Reykjavik on Friday, replacing Igor Stimac in the dugout in October.
Kovac stressed that in the two play-off legs his squad demonstrated "team spirit, motivation."
"I hope that we will continue like this."
Kovac, who took over a team in poor form and under pressure from the local media and public, added he also hoped to have "restored faith in Croatian football."
"We are thrilled to have qualified for the World Cup. We fully deserved it," midfielder Luka Modric said.
"When we show unity as we did today we can cope with the best world teams."
Croatia are appearing at their fourth World Cup finals after the editions of 1998, 2002 and 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!