Croatia qualify for 2014 World Cup finals
Zagreb: Croatia secured a berth at their fourth World Cup finals next year with a 2-0 win in their play-off second leg tie against Iceland on Tuesday.
With last week`s first leg goalless, Iceland arrived in Zagreb full of hope of becoming the smallest ever country to make it to a World Cup.
But those dreams were extinguished with goals from Mario Mandzukic in the 27th minute and Darijo Srna`s 47th minute contribution.
Croatia made it hard for themselves when Mandzukic got sent off for a dangerous tackle not long after his goal.
However, in the second half it could have gone unnoticed on the pitch that they had 10 players as they never stopped attacking.
"My respect to players who left their souls and hearts on the pitch, they all made me proud," Croatia coach Niko Kovac told state HRT television after the match.
"We had a vision and a goal. We insisted on that and we succeeded. We showed a modern football," the 42-year-old said.
The former Croatia captain made his bow as national team coach in Reykjavik on Friday, replacing Igor Stimac in the dugout in October.
Kovac stressed that in the two play-off legs his squad demonstrated "team spirit, motivation."
"I hope that we will continue like this."
Kovac, who took over a team in poor form and under pressure from the local media and public, added he also hoped to have "restored faith in Croatian football."
"We are thrilled to have qualified for the World Cup. We fully deserved it," midfielder Luka Modric said.
"When we show unity as we did today we can cope with the best world teams."
Croatia are appearing at their fourth World Cup finals after the editions of 1998, 2002 and 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared