Crowd trouble causes Granada match to be abandoned
Madrid: The match between Granada and Mallorca was called off mid-way through the second half after an assistant referee was hit by an umbrella thrown from the crowd.
Granada had the initiative in the match between the two struggling sides after coming from behind to lead Mallorca 2-1 when the referee headed straight for the tunnel after one of his linesmen was struck yesterday.
In a hard fought match Victor Casadesus put Mallorca ahead but Granada, who started the game second from bottom, got back into the match through Guilherme Siqueira and then a fine 25-yard strike from Carlos Martins put them in the driving seat.
There was a highly-charged atmosphere on and off the pitch but the euphoria in the stands spilled over when the umbrella was launched at the official.
Earlier, misfiring Atletico Madrid finally found their touch in front of goal but were forced to hang on for a 3-2 victory over Levante who fell to their third consecutive defeat.
The pressure was on Atletico coach Gregorio Manzano after their derby defeat by Getafe in their last game meant they had only one win in eight matches, but they showed plenty of attacking intent from the start against Levante.
The visitors are still in the top four thanks to a seven-match winning streak earlier in the season and they set their stall to defend deeply and try to catch Atletico on the counter-attack.
Atletico missed a series of openings but eventually went ahead through a cool finish from substitute Luis Pizzi. Levante hit back immediately via Torres but Adrian Lopez restored Atletico`s advantage after 74 minutes and Diego added another before a Ruben Suarez consolation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional