Crowd trouble causes Granada match to be abandoned
Madrid: The match between Granada and Mallorca was called off mid-way through the second half after an assistant referee was hit by an umbrella thrown from the crowd.
Granada had the initiative in the match between the two struggling sides after coming from behind to lead Mallorca 2-1 when the referee headed straight for the tunnel after one of his linesmen was struck yesterday.
In a hard fought match Victor Casadesus put Mallorca ahead but Granada, who started the game second from bottom, got back into the match through Guilherme Siqueira and then a fine 25-yard strike from Carlos Martins put them in the driving seat.
There was a highly-charged atmosphere on and off the pitch but the euphoria in the stands spilled over when the umbrella was launched at the official.
Earlier, misfiring Atletico Madrid finally found their touch in front of goal but were forced to hang on for a 3-2 victory over Levante who fell to their third consecutive defeat.
The pressure was on Atletico coach Gregorio Manzano after their derby defeat by Getafe in their last game meant they had only one win in eight matches, but they showed plenty of attacking intent from the start against Levante.
The visitors are still in the top four thanks to a seven-match winning streak earlier in the season and they set their stall to defend deeply and try to catch Atletico on the counter-attack.
Atletico missed a series of openings but eventually went ahead through a cool finish from substitute Luis Pizzi. Levante hit back immediately via Torres but Adrian Lopez restored Atletico`s advantage after 74 minutes and Diego added another before a Ruben Suarez consolation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO