Cruyff`s coaching career ends with Nigeria draw
London: The former Netherlands attacker was unable to bring the curtain down with a win after his Catalunya side were denied by a second-half equaliser from the West Africans.
Johan Cruyff has retired from football management as planned following Catalunya`s 1-1 draw with Nigeria at Espanyol`s Estadi Cornella El Prat on Wednesday evening.
Sergio Gonzalez netted a seventh-minute penalty but an excellent breakaway goal from US-based Bright Dike denied the 65-year-old from overseeing a victory in his farewell game.
Cristian Tello squandered a last-minute chance for a Catalan side, who featured the likes of Xavi, Sergio Busquets and Bojan.
Cruyff is a legend in the north east region of Spain, particularly synonymous with Espanyol`s local rivals Barcelona, the side he famously led to their first European Cup in 1992.
In an eight-year spell in the Camp Nou dugout, the former playmaker also led Barcelona to four consecutive liga titles between 1991 and 1994.
Cruyff also collected silverware in a three-year stint as coach of Ajax between 1985 and 1988.
The star of Netherlands` run to the 1974 World Cup final also enjoyed a decorated playing career with both Barcelona and Ajax, winning the Ballon d`Or three times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre