Crystal Palace stun Man United in League Cup
London: Second-tier side Crystal Palace stunned Premier League champions Manchester United to win 2-1 after extra time in their League Cup quarter-final at Old Trafford and set up a semi-final against Cardiff City in January.
Darren Ambrose proved Palace`s inspiration, firing in a 35-metre wonderstrike after 65 minutes which television pundit and former Manchester United defender Gary Neville said was the best goal he had seen in 20 years at his old stomping ground.
Ambrose then turned provider when his wicked freekick was nodded home by Glenn Murray, who appeared marginally offside, on 98 minutes to set the London team on their way to a clash with fellow Championship (second division) club Cardiff.
Premier League leaders Manchester City will face Liverpool in the other semi-final, to be played over two legs early next year, after they beat Arsenal and Chelsea Tuesday.
"You can hear the fans out there now. We`re delighted. We`ve got a great team spirit and we can beat anyone," former Newcastle United midfielder Ambrose told Sky Sports.
Matchwinner Murray added: "It`s what every boy`s dream is, to come to a place like this and score a goal like that."
Palace`s 1-0 advantage thanks to Ambrose lasted just three minutes when Italian Federico Macheda levelled from the penalty spot after he was hauled to the ground by captain Patrick McCarthy.
However United, fielding an inexperienced side in the often unloved competition, were lacklustre despite players supposedly pushing themselves for first-team inclusion and Palace deservedly inflicted a rare home defeat on Alex Ferguson`s men.
"I`m so disappointed. I have to apologise to my fans and all the players who weren`t playing. We never expected that," said Ferguson, who saw Dimitar Berbatov, Rafael and Fabio come off injured.
"Any time we go on the pitch it means a lot to Manchester United. We have our pride to protect and our history to protect. Every time we walk on the pitch it`s important. We didn`t see that tonight."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli