Crystal Palace stun Man United in League Cup
London: Second-tier side Crystal Palace stunned Premier League champions Manchester United to win 2-1 after extra time in their League Cup quarter-final at Old Trafford and set up a semi-final against Cardiff City in January.
Darren Ambrose proved Palace`s inspiration, firing in a 35-metre wonderstrike after 65 minutes which television pundit and former Manchester United defender Gary Neville said was the best goal he had seen in 20 years at his old stomping ground.
Ambrose then turned provider when his wicked freekick was nodded home by Glenn Murray, who appeared marginally offside, on 98 minutes to set the London team on their way to a clash with fellow Championship (second division) club Cardiff.
Premier League leaders Manchester City will face Liverpool in the other semi-final, to be played over two legs early next year, after they beat Arsenal and Chelsea Tuesday.
"You can hear the fans out there now. We`re delighted. We`ve got a great team spirit and we can beat anyone," former Newcastle United midfielder Ambrose told Sky Sports.
Matchwinner Murray added: "It`s what every boy`s dream is, to come to a place like this and score a goal like that."
Palace`s 1-0 advantage thanks to Ambrose lasted just three minutes when Italian Federico Macheda levelled from the penalty spot after he was hauled to the ground by captain Patrick McCarthy.
However United, fielding an inexperienced side in the often unloved competition, were lacklustre despite players supposedly pushing themselves for first-team inclusion and Palace deservedly inflicted a rare home defeat on Alex Ferguson`s men.
"I`m so disappointed. I have to apologise to my fans and all the players who weren`t playing. We never expected that," said Ferguson, who saw Dimitar Berbatov, Rafael and Fabio come off injured.
"Any time we go on the pitch it means a lot to Manchester United. We have our pride to protect and our history to protect. Every time we walk on the pitch it`s important. We didn`t see that tonight."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli hits 26th hundred as India inch closer to win
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption