CSKA Moscow fans punished with `partial stadium ban` for racially abusing Yaya Toure
Johannesburg: The fans of Russian football club CSKA Moscow have reportedly been hit with a partial stadium ban in order to punish them for racially abusing Manchester City captain Yaya Toure in a Champions League match between the two sides.
Toure, who is from the Ivory Coast, claimed that he was racially targeted by CSKA fans with `monkey` chants, during his club`s 2-1 win in Moscow on October 23.
According to Sport24, European football governing body UEFA stated that their disciplinary body had ordered the closure of Sector D of CSKA`s Arena Khimki for the club`s next Champions League game against German side Bayern Munich, in a bid to defend their zero tolerance policy towards racism and discrimination.
Stating that it is crucial to hit back against stadium racism, UEFA further stated that all forms of racist behaviour are considered serious offences against the disciplinary regulations and are punished with the most severe sanctions.
The body also stated that the fight against racist conduct has been stepped up a level following the entry into force of the new disciplinary regulations on June 1, which resulted in more severe sanctions to deter any such behaviour.
However, the report mentioned that the closure would not have a great effect on CSKA`s attendance or earnings as the stand that has been closed is quite small and CSKA matches rarely sell out in reality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray