Daily wager`s daughter unable to attend camp due to poverty
Salem (Tamil Nadu): A tenth standard girl, whose father is a daily wager at a coconut-coir mending unit here, has made it to the Under-17 national football team but is unable to attend the training camp at Pune as she does not have enough money.
Fifteen-year-old Lavanya of the Sri Ramakrishna Saradha Higher Secondary School is the only girl from Tamil Nadu to have made it to the team, teachers said.
"She has to take part in the training camp and for that she needs Rs 2 lakhs," her father G Muthukumar said, adding, the camp begins next week.
Lavanya, who is a centre-forward, wants government sports organisations or affluent persons to come forward and help her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof