Dakar Rally to begin in football star Messi`s hometown
Paris: The 2014 Dakar Rally will begin from January 5th in Rosario, the Argentinean city where football star Lionel Messi was born, and will end on January 18th in Valparaiso, Chile, organisers announced here.
But the real novelty of next year`s rally is that part of the route will take competitors into Bolivia, making it the 28th country to host the legendary off-road endurance race.
It will be the Dakar Rally`s 35th edition and the sixth time it will be held in South America, according to France`s Amaury Sport Organisation (ASO), which handles the race.
The 2014 course seeks to test competitors` intelligence as well as endurance, organisers said.
The town of Rosario, located 300 kilometres north of Argentina`s capital Buenos Aires, in Santa Fe province, is the birthplace of Messi and revolutionary leader Ernesto ‘Che’ Guevara.
The nearly two-week race has scheduled just one rest day on Jan 11 in Salta, north Argentina.
The 2013 edition, which began in Lima, Peru, continued through Argentina and concluded in Santiago, Chile, was won by France`s Stephane Peterhansel in the cars division, fellow Frenchman Cyril Despres (bikes), Russian Eduard Nikolaev (trucks) and Argentinean Marcos Patronelli (ATVs/quads).
In 2009, 2010 and 2011, the Dakar Rally started in Buenos Aires and ended in Santiago, while in 2012 it began in Argentina`s Mar del Plata, continued through Chile and concluded in Lima.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble