David Moyes casts doubt on United`s European hopes
Manchester United manager David Moyes says his team does not possess enough "world-class players" to mount a serious challenge for Champions League success this season.
United have lost three of their first six games in the Premier League since Moyes succeeded Alex Ferguson, with Saturday`s 2-1 loss at home to West Bromwich Albion leaving them in 12th place in the table.
It represents the club`s worst start to a league season since 1989.
Moyes missed out on targets including Cesc Fabregas, Leighton Baines and Ander Herrera during the close-season transfer window, and he is now worried that his team will come up short in European competition.
"To win the Champions League, you need five or six world-class players," he told the Sunday editions of several British newspapers.
"Look at Bayern Munich; they have it. Look at Barcelona, who had it in the past and Real Madrid, who have maybe got it now.
"That`s the level you have to be at to win it. We`ve not got that yet, but what we have got is experience."
United opened their Champions League campaign with a 4-2 home win over German side Bayer Leverkusen earlier this month.
They visit Ukrainian champions Shakhtar Donetsk for their second Group A fixture on Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui