David Silva service keeps Manchester City on top of EPL
London: David Silva restored Manchester City`s two-point lead in the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Arsenal on Sunday after Wayne Rooney had helped Manchester United go top with a lightning header.
Silva`s 53rd-minute tap-in at the far post from close range, after Wojciech Szczesny parried a fierce shot by Mario Balotelli and Sergio Aguero nodded on the rebound, condemned the Gunners to a 1-0 defeat in an end-to-end thriller at the Etihad.
While Arsenal proved tough nuts to crack in freezing Manchester, where the Londoners posed a constant threat, United were 1-0 up after just 52 seconds at promoted Queens Park Rangers thanks to Rooney`s diving effort.
Michael Carrick followed up his England team mate`s 12th league goal of the season with his first in nearly two years for United to settle the scoreline at 2-0.
City have 41 points from 16 matches, with United on 39.
Tottenham Hotspur kept up the pressure, beating Sunderland 1-0 at White Hart Lane to take third place on 34 points with a game in hand on the leaders. Roman Pavlyuchenko grabbed the winner in the 61st.
Chelsea, who drew 1-1 at relegation-threatened Wigan Athletic on Saturday, fell to fourth on 32 points with Arsenal fifth on 29 and ahead of Liverpool, 2-0 winners at Aston Villa, on goal difference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 'Online purchase of sexual wellness products more preferred in Tier III cities'
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly