David Silva service keeps Manchester City on top of EPL
London: David Silva restored Manchester City`s two-point lead in the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Arsenal on Sunday after Wayne Rooney had helped Manchester United go top with a lightning header.
Silva`s 53rd-minute tap-in at the far post from close range, after Wojciech Szczesny parried a fierce shot by Mario Balotelli and Sergio Aguero nodded on the rebound, condemned the Gunners to a 1-0 defeat in an end-to-end thriller at the Etihad.
While Arsenal proved tough nuts to crack in freezing Manchester, where the Londoners posed a constant threat, United were 1-0 up after just 52 seconds at promoted Queens Park Rangers thanks to Rooney`s diving effort.
Michael Carrick followed up his England team mate`s 12th league goal of the season with his first in nearly two years for United to settle the scoreline at 2-0.
City have 41 points from 16 matches, with United on 39.
Tottenham Hotspur kept up the pressure, beating Sunderland 1-0 at White Hart Lane to take third place on 34 points with a game in hand on the leaders. Roman Pavlyuchenko grabbed the winner in the 61st.
Chelsea, who drew 1-1 at relegation-threatened Wigan Athletic on Saturday, fell to fourth on 32 points with Arsenal fifth on 29 and ahead of Liverpool, 2-0 winners at Aston Villa, on goal difference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing