David Silva service keeps Manchester City on top of EPL
London: David Silva restored Manchester City`s two-point lead in the Premier League with a 1-0 win over Arsenal on Sunday after Wayne Rooney had helped Manchester United go top with a lightning header.
Silva`s 53rd-minute tap-in at the far post from close range, after Wojciech Szczesny parried a fierce shot by Mario Balotelli and Sergio Aguero nodded on the rebound, condemned the Gunners to a 1-0 defeat in an end-to-end thriller at the Etihad.
While Arsenal proved tough nuts to crack in freezing Manchester, where the Londoners posed a constant threat, United were 1-0 up after just 52 seconds at promoted Queens Park Rangers thanks to Rooney`s diving effort.
Michael Carrick followed up his England team mate`s 12th league goal of the season with his first in nearly two years for United to settle the scoreline at 2-0.
City have 41 points from 16 matches, with United on 39.
Tottenham Hotspur kept up the pressure, beating Sunderland 1-0 at White Hart Lane to take third place on 34 points with a game in hand on the leaders. Roman Pavlyuchenko grabbed the winner in the 61st.
Chelsea, who drew 1-1 at relegation-threatened Wigan Athletic on Saturday, fell to fourth on 32 points with Arsenal fifth on 29 and ahead of Liverpool, 2-0 winners at Aston Villa, on goal difference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees