Deco`s decision to quit was his own: Fluminense
Rio de Janeiro: Fluminense have denied that former Portugal midfielder Deco was pushed into retirement.
Deco Monday ended his decorated career, admitting his body could no longer cope with playing.
Fluminense`s football vice president Sandro Lima said the club had no influence on the decision.
"It was a personal decision," Lima said.
"It`s always difficult for a player at the highest level to stop playing but we respect his decision and lament it due to everything that he has done for Fluminense."
The announcement followed a string of injuries that reduced Deco to just five appearances in the Campeonato Brasileiro this season.
He has also been the subject of controversy after testing positive to a banned diuretic earlier this year.
Deco faces a retrial before a Rio sports tribunal next month after prosecutors appealed a 30-day ban already served by the 36-year-old.
In the original sentence, a panel accepted that Deco had unwittingly taken the substance in a vitamin supplement.
Deco expressed his gratitude to Fluminense, where he won two Brazilian league titles after joining the club from Chelsea in August 2010.
"It was a very happy period for me at Fluminense and I would like to have helped the club more this season, but my body would not let me," the former playmaker said in a written statement.
Deco, who was capped 75 times for Portugal, is one of only nine players to have won the UEFA Champions League with two different clubs -- Porto (2004) and Barcelona (2006).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch