Deco to retire at end of season
Rio de Janeiro: Former Portugal international midfielder Deco has revealed plans to retire from football at the end of 2013.
Deco, 36 next month, admitted he could no longer guarantee the quality of performances that made him one of the world`s most influential midfielders during spells at Porto, Barcelona and Chelsea, reports Xinhua.
"In football time is short. It makes me nostalgic thinking about it," Deco told TV Globo. "But there comes a time when you are no longer able to compete with the same strength and intensity.
"I am competitive and I always want to win. I have a contract until the end of the year and I have set myself on having a good Campeonato Brasileiro."
Deco is one of only nine players to have won the UEFA Champions League with two different clubs, Porto and Barcelona.
He admitted the lure of winning the Copa Libertadores - South America`s elite club competition - could prompt an addendum to his decorated career.
"This is my last Campeonato Brasileiro. But maybe I can be convinced to play in another Copa Libertadores and try to win the title that I don`t have," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'