Defender Vermaelen signs new deal with Arsenal
London: Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen has signed a new long-term contract with the Gunners.
Vermaelen, 25, has made 54 appearances for the north London club since arriving at the Emirates Stadium in 2009 from Ajax. The Belgium international has not played since Aug 24 but is expected to come back to full training soon; a news agency reports.
"I am really happy to have signed a new contract with Arsenal. I always had the intention to stay here," said Vermaelen, who spent nine years with Ajax.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said: "We are absolutely delighted that Thomas has signed a new long-term contract. Our plan is always to sign top quality players and with Thomas extending his contract, we have done just that."
Wenger is commanding his team preparing for the Champions League group match against Marseille at the Stade Veledrome Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video