Defending champion Santos lose in Copa Libertadores
Rio de Janeiro: Defending Copa Libertadores champion Santos suffered a 1-2 defeat to Bolivar in the first leg of their round of 16 battle in La Paz.
Midfielder Jhasmani Campos opened the scoring in the first minute of the match Wednesday when his 25m free-kick hit the crossbar and rebounded in off goalkeeper Rafael.
Maranhao equalised in the 34th minute when he bundled in a shot from close range after Elano`s dipping free-kick was saved by Marcos Arguello.
But Campos capped a brilliant solo display by making it 2-1 with another goal from a set-piece in the 74th-minute, reported Xinhua.
"The intention was to score at least three goals or more," Campos told Fox Sports after the match.
"Scoring against the defending champions is very difficult. Winning is what matters."
Brazil`s international playmaker Neymar struggled to make an impact, noticeably suffering from the effects of 3600m high altitude.
The away goal means Santos only needs to win the return match 1-0 to advance to the quarter-finals.
In Porto Alegre, Brazilian rivals Internacional and Fluminense drew 0-0 with Jesus Datolo missing a second-half penalty for the hosts.
It appeared that Internacional would break the deadlock in the 57th-minute when Brazilian striker Damiao was brought down in the penalty area by an Edinho tackle.
But Fluminense goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri kept out Datolo`s spot-kick with a stunning save.
Former Manchester City striker Jo had a chance to put the home team ahead in stoppage time but his low drive rebounded off the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city