Del Bosque not giving up on Puyol or Villa for Euro 2012
Madrid: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque is refusing to rule either Carles Puyol or David Villa out of contention for a place in his squad for Euro 2012.
Veteran defender Puyol will likely be sidelined for six weeks after undergoing knee surgery on Saturday, while Barcelona team-mate Villa has yet to make his return to competitive football after fracturing his tibia on Club World Cup duty in December.
"We have until May 27 to hand in the final list for Euro 2012, so until that day we are not ruling out anyone, including Puyol and Villa," Del Bosque told reporters on Wednesday.
"Puyol is a team leader and there is no hurry. He has a chance to be at the Euros. It`s difficult, but we`ll know on the 27th if he travels or not.
"Villa is so effective in front of goal and we just have to transmit optimism to him - but also realism. He had a serious injury and is working very hard.
"But we will decide all on the 27th. In 10 days we will leave all doubts behind."
Spain have been drawn in the same group as Italy, Republic of Ireland and Croatia and will kick off the defence of their title against the Azzurri on June 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister