Del Bosque not giving up on Puyol or Villa for Euro 2012
Madrid: Spain coach Vicente del Bosque is refusing to rule either Carles Puyol or David Villa out of contention for a place in his squad for Euro 2012.
Veteran defender Puyol will likely be sidelined for six weeks after undergoing knee surgery on Saturday, while Barcelona team-mate Villa has yet to make his return to competitive football after fracturing his tibia on Club World Cup duty in December.
"We have until May 27 to hand in the final list for Euro 2012, so until that day we are not ruling out anyone, including Puyol and Villa," Del Bosque told reporters on Wednesday.
"Puyol is a team leader and there is no hurry. He has a chance to be at the Euros. It`s difficult, but we`ll know on the 27th if he travels or not.
"Villa is so effective in front of goal and we just have to transmit optimism to him - but also realism. He had a serious injury and is working very hard.
"But we will decide all on the 27th. In 10 days we will leave all doubts behind."
Spain have been drawn in the same group as Italy, Republic of Ireland and Croatia and will kick off the defence of their title against the Azzurri on June 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state