Del Bosque tips Andrea Pirlo for Ballon d`Or
Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has lauded Italy and Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo, and added that the playmaker could pip some of his side`s stars to the Ballon d`Or this January.
The Azzurri fell to a 4-0 loss to Spain in the European Cup final this summer, but the 33-year-old remains widely-regarded as one of the best in his position after some stellar performances at the tournament.
Del Bosque has now voiced his admiration of the former AC Milan man, but added he hopes a compatriot picks up the award on which he places `little` value.
"Pirlo, could win (the Ballon d`Or). He is among the candidates," the 61-year old told reporters.
"He is a complete player, able to build the game and finish it."
"Even though I think very little about this award, I hope it goes to a Spaniard. (Andres) Iniesta? He`s not the only one.”
"The competition is strong, with Cristiano] Ronaldo, (Lionel) Messi and (Radamel) Falcao..."
Pirlo will be able to further stake his claim for the award when Juventus take on fellow table-toppers Napoli on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut
- Two Palestinians shot dead after checkpoint attack bid: Israel