Dempo emerge Super Cup champions; Salgaocar finish second
Margao: Salgaocar Sports Club defeated 10-man Sporting clube de Goa 2-1 in the final round of the Super Cup to finish second behind Dempo SC.
Salgaocar, who needed a big margin win (by nearly a dozen goals) against Sporting Clube de Goa to emerge champions, failed in their efforts and managed only a 2-1 victory at Nehru Stadium here.
They finished their league engagement with 25 points, the same as Dempo, but finished second on account of inferior goal difference.
Dempo`s resounding 7-1 win over Vasco yesterday helped them to clinch the title for the third time. Churchill Brothers finished third with 24 points, while Sporting Clube de Goa came fourth with 20 points.
In today`s match, Sporting Club de Goa were leading 1-0 at half time. The goal was scored through their youthful striker Dawson Fernandes in the 22nd minute.
Salgaocar came from behind to score two goals. Milagres Gonsalves found the mark through a spot kick in the 75th minute and then Beevan D`Mello made the issue safe for his team just six minutes before the final whistle.
Dempo coach Mauricio Afonso, when contacted for his reaction, said "it was the hard work of the players and competitive spirit that helped them to win the title."
"This year the competition was very tough. All teams fielded their best players in an attempt to earn the honour," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks