Dempo looking forward to extend lead on top
Margao: An exciting contest is on card when defending champions Dempo take on Prayag United in the tenth round of the I-League at Nehru Stadium on Saturday.
Dempo SC coach Armando Colaco is pleased after his team regained the top spot from East Bengal beating Salgaocar in the last match and wants to maintain the winning momentum and extend their one point lead over East Bengal at the top.
Rohan Ricketts, who played upfront from his usual midfield position, struck the right cord along with Ryuji Sueoka in the last two matches scoring a goal against Salgacoar.
Climax Lawerence, who has the ability to pick the gap for the strikers and put pressure on the rival defence, will play key role in the attack along with Clifford Miranda, after being back in the squad from injuries.
"The team is playing well at the moment and hoping to maintain the unbeaten run at home and extend it to five matches by beating Prayag United tomorrow, who will come hard on us after suffering two consecutive defeats to put them back on winning track," said Colaco.
Prayag United, who started well scoring 26 goals, the highest among the fourteen I-League teams, suddenly lost their winning momentum which saw them collect one point from the last three matches and coach blame for individual mistakes by his defenders from set piece moves which has resulted in two consecutive defeats against Churchill Brothers and Mumbai FC.
This has pushed them to fourth place with 14 points from nine matches, eight points behind leaders Dempo.
Ranty Martins, who will be playing against his former club tomorrow, is the man on whom coach Eelco Schattorie will depend for a win along with Carlos Hernandez, who has put up a good performance against Mumbai FC.
"The team is playing well but need to focus till the end and avoid making individual mistakes especially against Dempo, who are good on counter attack and set piece moves," Colaco said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'