Dempo looking forward to extend lead on top
Margao: An exciting contest is on card when defending champions Dempo take on Prayag United in the tenth round of the I-League at Nehru Stadium on Saturday.
Dempo SC coach Armando Colaco is pleased after his team regained the top spot from East Bengal beating Salgaocar in the last match and wants to maintain the winning momentum and extend their one point lead over East Bengal at the top.
Rohan Ricketts, who played upfront from his usual midfield position, struck the right cord along with Ryuji Sueoka in the last two matches scoring a goal against Salgacoar.
Climax Lawerence, who has the ability to pick the gap for the strikers and put pressure on the rival defence, will play key role in the attack along with Clifford Miranda, after being back in the squad from injuries.
"The team is playing well at the moment and hoping to maintain the unbeaten run at home and extend it to five matches by beating Prayag United tomorrow, who will come hard on us after suffering two consecutive defeats to put them back on winning track," said Colaco.
Prayag United, who started well scoring 26 goals, the highest among the fourteen I-League teams, suddenly lost their winning momentum which saw them collect one point from the last three matches and coach blame for individual mistakes by his defenders from set piece moves which has resulted in two consecutive defeats against Churchill Brothers and Mumbai FC.
This has pushed them to fourth place with 14 points from nine matches, eight points behind leaders Dempo.
Ranty Martins, who will be playing against his former club tomorrow, is the man on whom coach Eelco Schattorie will depend for a win along with Carlos Hernandez, who has put up a good performance against Mumbai FC.
"The team is playing well but need to focus till the end and avoid making individual mistakes especially against Dempo, who are good on counter attack and set piece moves," Colaco said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport