Dempo looking forward to extend lead on top
Margao: An exciting contest is on card when defending champions Dempo take on Prayag United in the tenth round of the I-League at Nehru Stadium on Saturday.
Dempo SC coach Armando Colaco is pleased after his team regained the top spot from East Bengal beating Salgaocar in the last match and wants to maintain the winning momentum and extend their one point lead over East Bengal at the top.
Rohan Ricketts, who played upfront from his usual midfield position, struck the right cord along with Ryuji Sueoka in the last two matches scoring a goal against Salgacoar.
Climax Lawerence, who has the ability to pick the gap for the strikers and put pressure on the rival defence, will play key role in the attack along with Clifford Miranda, after being back in the squad from injuries.
"The team is playing well at the moment and hoping to maintain the unbeaten run at home and extend it to five matches by beating Prayag United tomorrow, who will come hard on us after suffering two consecutive defeats to put them back on winning track," said Colaco.
Prayag United, who started well scoring 26 goals, the highest among the fourteen I-League teams, suddenly lost their winning momentum which saw them collect one point from the last three matches and coach blame for individual mistakes by his defenders from set piece moves which has resulted in two consecutive defeats against Churchill Brothers and Mumbai FC.
This has pushed them to fourth place with 14 points from nine matches, eight points behind leaders Dempo.
Ranty Martins, who will be playing against his former club tomorrow, is the man on whom coach Eelco Schattorie will depend for a win along with Carlos Hernandez, who has put up a good performance against Mumbai FC.
"The team is playing well but need to focus till the end and avoid making individual mistakes especially against Dempo, who are good on counter attack and set piece moves," Colaco said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi
- Punjab seeks probe into AAP funding by radicals
- One killed, 13 injured in mob-police clash in Bengal