Dempo looks to keep winning momentum going against Pune FC
Margao: Dempo Sports Club would be looking to extend their lead when they take on Pune FC on Sunday in the 19th round of the I-League championship at Nehru Stadium.
Dempo, who are at the top of the table with 40 points from 18 matches, are six points ahead of second-placed East Bengal.
A win on Sunday will see the Goa outfit taking one more step towards lifting the title that they have won four times.
Dempo started well, posting seven straight wins but suffered setback in the middle, losing their next three ties which helped other teams to close the gap on the top. But they won their last five matches to top the table.
Dempo coach Maurico Afonso, who has full strength at his disposal, said his team enjoys an edge over their rivals as they have the home advantage and have beaten them at Pune.
"The boys are playing well and winning matches. They now need to keep the winning momentum going. Pune FC are a good side and playing well. All we need is to play to our potential and take advantage of the home match," said Afonso.
Pune FC, who are on seventh place with 28 points, suffered a defeat against Sporting Clube de Goa after remaining unbeaten for eleven matches. They will now seek to put aside that defeat and look for a win on Sunday.
Pune FC coach Derrick Pereira sounded hopeful about a win against the local giant.
"We are handicapped by the fact that our main striker Jeje Lalpekhlua is out for one month and reliable defender Chika Wali is not playing due to double booking. But we are well prepared to take on Dempo who are in good form and have experienced and quality players. Hopefully, things will go our way and we will win tomorrow," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket