Dempo to instill young blood to regain top spot
Panaji: Having lost this year`s I-League title to Churchill Brothers, Dempo Sports Club is planning to revamp the team by instilling young blood and roping in three players from Australia.
Former Pailan Arrows coach Arthur Papas who has taken over the reign from Armando Colaco has already roped in youngsters Jeje Lalpehklua (Pune FC), Jewel Raja (Mohan Bagan) and Gabriel Fernandes (Mumbai FC).
Seniors like Valeriano Rebello, Samir Naik, Anthony Pereira and Climax Lawerence are unlikely to remain in the club for the next season.
Apart from Brazilian Roberto Silva who is back in the side after serving Churchill Brothers, the other three are from Australia.
Simon Colosimo (Melbourne Heart), Dani Sanchez (Wellington Phoneix) and former Perth Glory striker Billy Mehmet are among the players that Dempo has shortlisted.
Colosimo deal is almost finalised, while the club is in the final stages of negotiations with strikers Dani Sanchez and Billy Mehmet, they said.
The 34-year-old Colosimo who has donned Australian colours in 26 international matches has played for Manchester City in the English Premier League.
Dani Sanchez who played youth football with his hometown club Malaga CF in 2003 had successful spells in Australia.
Mehmet has experience of playing in Scotland and Turkey, besides having a good spell at A-League side Perth Glory. The 29-year-old is a former Ireland Under-21 international and last played for Bangkok Glass Football Club in Thailand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued