Dempo to take on East Bengal in Fed Cup final
Siliguri: Dempo SC struck in the second half to get past defending champions Salgaocar SC 2-0 and move into the final of the 34th Federation Cup soccer here Friday.
Dempo frontliners Joaquim Abranches and Nigerian Koko Sakibo found the target in the final quarter of the second semi-final outing at the Kanchanjungha Stadium here.
Dempo, which last reached the final in 2008, will take on local favourites East Bengal in the title round Sunday. With Dempo`s entry to the final, East Bengal were ensured a place in the AFC Cup as the Goa club are the defending I-League champions.
After a goalless first session, Dempo came back strongly and finally Abranches found the break in the 74th minute firing a nice side-volley on a cross from 53rd minute substitute Romeo Fernandes.
The Goans found the insurance goal in the 85th minute when Sakibo collected a cross from Anthony Perreira, took a sharp turn to clear the Salgaocar defender Luciano Sabrosa and bulged the Salgaocar net with a powerful drive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Islamic State urges Ramadan attacks in US, Europe in new audio broadcast
- Meet the graduates! Aryan Khan and Navya Naveli Nanda celebrate freedom like stars—View pics
- Watch: 'Smart' walking stick that can help Parkinson's sufferers regain rhythm!
- Shocking: DFO owns luxurious swimming pool as Sukma craves for water
- SC to hear plea seeking water supply ban to Maharashtra breweries