Dempo to take on East Bengal in Fed Cup final
Siliguri: Dempo SC struck in the second half to get past defending champions Salgaocar SC 2-0 and move into the final of the 34th Federation Cup soccer here Friday.
Dempo frontliners Joaquim Abranches and Nigerian Koko Sakibo found the target in the final quarter of the second semi-final outing at the Kanchanjungha Stadium here.
Dempo, which last reached the final in 2008, will take on local favourites East Bengal in the title round Sunday. With Dempo`s entry to the final, East Bengal were ensured a place in the AFC Cup as the Goa club are the defending I-League champions.
After a goalless first session, Dempo came back strongly and finally Abranches found the break in the 74th minute firing a nice side-volley on a cross from 53rd minute substitute Romeo Fernandes.
The Goans found the insurance goal in the 85th minute when Sakibo collected a cross from Anthony Perreira, took a sharp turn to clear the Salgaocar defender Luciano Sabrosa and bulged the Salgaocar net with a powerful drive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Cameron tells EU free movement reform `key` to post-Brexit ties: UK govt source
- Shocking! Teenage girl gang-raped inside Delhi school by friend, security guard
- Soon, education till Class 10 may become free
- US, European stocks rise, ending Brexit rout
- Italy, Netherlands offer to share UN council seat