Depleted Pune FC to take on Air India
Pune: Unbeaten in nine games so far, a depleted Pune FC are gearing up to continue the fine run when they take on state rivals Air India in a round 16 I-League game here on Saturday.
The Derrick Pereira-coached outfit, who have 26 points to their credit and are fifth in the standings, will have to play without four regular players which could upset their plans in the afternoon game at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex in Mhalunge-Balewadi.
Pune FC are stepping into their second leg game against the airmen (20 points and lying 7th)) without defender Gurjinder Kumar and central medios Douhou Pierre, Baldeep Singh, who will serve a one match suspension after receiving two cautions in two separate matches.
Also missing would be defender Anas Edathodika who was red-carded in their previous game, but Coach Pereira is confident his reserves can rise up to the challenge.
"To be frank we have enough quality on the bench and as I always say it is an opportunity for them (bench players) to up the ante," he said.
In the last five matches, Pune FC recorded three wins and two draws, the wins coming against Mohun Bagan, Churchill Brothers and Mumbai FC.
On the earlier occasion when the two teams met in the 7th round in November last year, Pune FC got the better of the airmen 2-0 at the same ground. They would like to continue their domination of AI before their series of away matches commencing with Shillong Lajong in Guwahati on January 28.
AI are coming into the game with their morale a bit low following 1-3 defeat at home against Dempo. Losses against the Kolkata`s big guns - Bagan and East Bengal – previously had already lowered their confidence. They need to regroup fast to take on a solid Pune FC outfit.
Pune FC, who have beaten their Mumbai rivals thrice in the current season, are thus fancied to gain full points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city